Friday 2 October 2009

(500) Days of Summer


I nearly left this film after the first twenty minutes the script was so terrible, but it did improve. There was a very funny, edgy romcom dying to get out of what was not quite a total disaster of a film. There were a few truly funny lines and the bollywood/disney song and dance sequence in the middle of the film to express the male lead's euphoria at sexual conquest was pretty great. Zooey Deschanel is wonderful to look at but her range seems terribly limited and I don't think the script can be blamed entirely, though as I said that was a huge problem. (She was equally flat in Gigantic, another dull film, but somehow I thought her flatness in that film was acting. I guess not.) A lot of it the film was astoundingly dull and predictable, but then every so often the characters or action would verge towards the surreal and the whole story would become momentarily interesting. The film's structure--jumping back and forth in time--was simply annoying and oh my god it's been done to death. Ever since that genius of a film Memento, filmmakers have been trying to play with structure mostly to disastrous effect. I'm afraid I can't think of much more to say about this film because I've already forgotten it even though I saw it three days ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment